Online Public Relations Degrees and Careers
Today's consumers are a savvy bunch who pay close attention to details when it comes to making decisions. The advent of the Internet has made it possible for buyers to keep close tabs on the companies and businesses they care about, so it's more important than ever before for brands to carefully manage their reputations.
That's where public relations professionals come in. These agents act as a buffer between the public and the high-profile celebrities, companies, politicians, or groups they represent, helping to handle difficult situations and devising and carrying out strategic plans to protect and maintain their client's positive public image.
Education & Career Opportunities in Public Relations
Public relations jobs can be competitive--especially for entry-level positions. Although job growth is expected to be strong (the most recent data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts 24 percent growth from 2008 to 2018) job seekers are expected to outnumber job openings.
Public relations degree programs may include coursework in journalism, communications, and marketing. Additionally, as the Web plays an ever greater role in marketing, individuals with social media training should be more competitive for many public relations jobs.
Individuals with degrees in public relations may work as public relations specialists, press secretaries, communication specialists, or consultants. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual income for public relations specialists in 2009 was $51,960.
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Online Courses
- Master of Science in Communications offered online through Syracuse University’s world-renowned Newhouse School of Public Communications.
- Ranked among the Best Global Universities in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Specializations include Advertising, Public Relations, and Journalism Innovation.
- Coursework provides students with communication strategies for today’s changing media landscape.
- Online Courses
Change the World with American University
Be a part of something bigger than yourself. At American University, we strive to help you develop your professional interests and indulge in your passion for making a difference. Our online degree programs allow you to gain the advanced skills for active leadership in a variety of fields.
Set Yourself Apart at American University
At American University, our smart, passionate and engaged students and faculty focus their knowledge to create meaningful change. Our strengths in international service and public affairs inspire our sense of social responsibility and a dedication to cultural and intellectual diversity. We're defined by our global perspective, practical idealism and a dedication to public service.
- Online Courses