Online Baking & Pastry Degrees and Careers
Bakers are employed to mix and bake pastries, breads, doughnuts, and other baked goods for sale in eating establishments and retail businesses. Most baking and pastry workers mass produce their culinary delights in industrial ovens, mixers, and other equipment. The varieties of baked goods created by those employed in the baking and pastries industry are limited only by the imaginations and individual skills and experience of the baker.
Education & Career Opportunities in Baking and Pastry
Although little or no formal education is required for employment in baking and pastry jobs, many are turning to baking and pastry degree programs at culinary arts schools and community colleges. The Retail Bakers of America offers a voluntary certificate program that assures potential and present employers that the certified person is knowledgeable in staff training, retail sales, baking sanitation, and management practices. The Retail Bakers of America certification depends on the accumulation of experience and education evidenced by successfully passing an examination. Certification ranges from the certified journey baker with a year's experience to the certified master baker who has completed extensive educational requirements and eight years' experience in the field.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, median annual wage for bakers in 2009 was $23,630. Baking and pastry jobs are typically found in full-service and limited-service restaurants, grocery stores, and in bakeries and tortilla manufacturing. Top-paying employers include school systems, colleges and universities, state government facilities, and traveler accommodation services.
- Provides students the opportunity to train at home in their spare time to get their high school diploma, train for a new career, or enhance current skills.
- Offers programs in psychology/social work, business management, medical billing, criminal justice, and more.
- Member of the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE), and the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE).
- Features a fully flexible schedule with no classes to attend, leaving the study pace up to the student.
- Online Courses
- Culinary Arts program includes the 3-week Farm To Table® Experience, where students gain a direct, in-depth look at where food comes from.
- Numerous scholarship opportunities and financial aid are available to students who qualify.
- Accreditation from the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET), and the Council on Occupational Education (COE).
- 2 campuses located in Boulder, Colorado and Austin, Texas.
- Online Courses
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- A private, accredited distance learning college based in Norcross, Georgia founded in 1987.
- Ensures that service members, their spouses and veterans can maximize their military education benefits.
- Gives students the option to customize monthly payments to fit their budgets and lifestyle.
- Offers all-inclusive tuition: textbooks, learning materials, and academic support are covered in the cost.
- Allows alumni to enroll in any future program at a reduced rate.
- Online Courses