Online Aviation Science Degrees and Careers
December 17, 1903 marked the start of the modern aviation age with the Wright Brothers' famous flight. Since that time, aviation has blossomed into an integral global economic and social industry. Today, major manufacturers such as Boeing, Airbus, and Bombadier build aircraft and jetliners that fill the skies. With such a large and diverse industry, aviation jobs are just as numerous and diverse.
Popular aviation careers include engineer, avionics technician, ground crew, air traffic controller, and flight attendant.
Education & Career Opportunities in Aviation
Degrees in aviation are typically required for nearly every career in the industry. For example, most employers prefer to hire pilots that possess a college degree. A competitive field, avionics, is a growing option in the aviation industry.
Avionics technicians typically receive training from an avionics degree program at one of th 170 Aviation Technician Schools certified by the FAA. Training typically takes between 12 and 24 months. And, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, one-third of these programs offer 2- and 4-year degrees in avionics, aviation maintenance management, or aviation technology.
Depending on your career choice, you could earn the following median salaries (2009 Bureau of Labor Statistics):
- Aviation Technicians: $50,570
- Flight attendant: $40,010
- Air-traffic controller: $109,850
However, you don't necessarily need any degrees in aviation to get a job in the field. Flight attendants and mechanics just need certification and a high school diploma, though employers do look favorably upon candidates with degrees.
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Online Courses
- Provides students the opportunity to train at home in their spare time to get their high school diploma, train for a new career, or enhance current skills.
- Offers programs in psychology/social work, business management, medical billing, criminal justice, and more.
- Member of the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE), and the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE).
- Features a fully flexible schedule with no classes to attend, leaving the study pace up to the student.
- Online Courses